Monday, July 12, 2010

"I AM"

Well I have put it off for as long as I can, it is now time to come out into the light, time to open up and share with you all my dreams and wishes.

As far back as I can remember I have always wanted to be an Artist. But I knew that dream would not be an achievable one for me, why you might ask? Because I can't draw, unlike my sister and mother and other close family members who draw beautifully. I have trouble staying in the lines of the average coloring book.

So who was I to think I could be so bold as to want to be an artist. Well I'll tell you who! I am my fathers little "tootsie roll" his little brown eyed girl with ratty hair and bear feet running from the closest brush or comb. That's right I am stubborn and persistent and always want my way. Just ask any of my siblings or my husband and children.

So I want to be an artist and I'm saying it out loud for all the world to hear and I'm putting my scribbles out there as well for all the world to see. I guess this is my own twelve step program for Artist Anonymous.
The first step is admitting you have a dream. The second step understanding that art comes in many shapes and sizes, and understanding that we are all artists of one kind or another. We need to look around us and see all that we have created, even if its as simple (or difficult in my case) as reading a recipe and creating a new dish. Or what about the artistic way you iron or fold your families clothes or the way you painted up your toe nails and finger nails.

The truth be told just waking up and starting your day makes everyone of us an ARTIST, by definition:

art-ist: 1. one who is skilled in any of the fine arts 2. one who does anything very well 3. a professional in any of the performing arts

Who knew all these years I have been thinking I was not good enough and come to find out that by definition, I am an artist. I am skilled in the fine are of caring for my children, helping them become good people. And lets not forget the performing arts of taking off where his mother left off and raising a good husband. And the one thing that I do real well is LOVE and LAUGH and CARE.

So if I take a moment and look around me at all of my projects all of my works of art, I can truly say I am an ARTIST, I am the Lords apprentice, and loving every minute of it and for that I am grateful.

I dedicate this post to my Dad, even though he is no longer with us I always carry him in my heart and I know we will be together again. Thanks for believing in me, dad.
Love
Tootsie

No comments:

Post a Comment