Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hello Dolly!!!





Well just what have I been up to this past week?
Well I'll tell you or even better I'll show you!!


These are my girls, hand made from head to toe by little ol' me!!
I had a blast creating these little ladies.
The idea to make them came to me in a dream.  
Yup call me weird,
but that's exactly what happened.
These girls are the 3D version of my art girls that you see in my paintings.

This project was a stretch for me since I'm not a cloth doll maker,  
or should I say, I wasn't a cloth doll maker.

For starters it took me several attempts to figure how to get the  faces I wanted on fabric.
Through a little trial and error this is what I came up with:






From start to finish, and a lot of notes on what not to do next time.
I  didn't have a pattern for the head size so I just had to guess.
And as far as the bodies go, I also guessed. 
I was happy with the final pattern so I cut them out
and sewed them up.




As for the body fabric I used what ever I had on hand, 
prints and solids.
I chose to tea dye all of my fabric so I could get a vintage look.
After stuffing and stringing I attached the heads, 
my son said the girls looked like aliens.


I think he was right, at this point I was pretty worried about the final out come, 
but I had come this far to late to turn back.
So with courage in my heart I started on the hair, just some yarn.



Still a little alien looking!!
Be brave, follow your heART!!!
And with that pray said,  I stitched up some clothing for my little naked aliens.
Again I just used old scraps of fabric and some old skirts I was going to throw out.
I put a scarf on each of my girls and gave a couple of them a hat, 
much like so many of my paintings.


Here's one of my painted girls with a hat, scarf and a tweed jacket to boot!!
So with that in mind, this is what I came up with!!

little pill box hat,

tweed jacket, lacy scarf.

"Believe in your dreams and they may come true.
Believe in your self and they will come true."
Just like in my paintings I wanted each one of my girls to have a little
inspirational saying to share, so I stitched it on to their dresses.

raspberry beret

tweed jacket and lacy scarf.
"Live in the moment."



lacy shawl and scarf with a silk rose and bow.

"Life isn't about finding yourself, its about creating yourself."
And last but not least ...



My Blondie here has no saying on her skirt yet,
I'm working on what to have her say.
And as you can see again a tweed jacket with a soft scarf and a
bow in her hair.
I still need to paint the shoes on each of my girls,
I just ran out of black paint and have not got to the store yet.
(to busy sewing)

I sure hope you enjoyed my little ladies as much as I enjoyed making them
and sharing them with you.
They will be up for sale Dec 3rd and 4th
along with the rest of my art work
at the
"St. Ambrose Holiday Boutique."
2315 E.  Redondo Ave (1995 So)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Sat 10AM - 8PM
Sun 8AM - 2:30PM

Maybe I'll see some of you there!!!!!
x0x0x


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie, these ladies are stunning! I love that you had a dream and then created something from that. I'm a big believer in listening to your dreams!

Keep creating with heART =-)

xo
Gwynnie

Diana said...

Your dolls are fabulous!!, love, love, love them. Can't believe these were your first dolls. Art Doll Quarterly here you come. Happy holidays.
Tootles
Diana

Post a Comment